Thursday, March 26, 2009

Arch linux: very first impression

Usually I don't write any reviews or any opinions on linux distros. However, I have to make an exception. The reason is that I have just install Arch linux! Arch linux is
a lightweight and flexible Linux® distribution that tries to Keep It Simple.
First on virtual box though, just to see what all the fuss is about. What I see is that this distro is quite interesting, it was easy to install. It was easy to set up fluxbox, and some other programs that I need (e.g. python-numpy, python-scipy, matplotlib). Currently I’m using CentOS on my HPC (high performance computing) server, and ubuntu 8.10 on desktop. In few weeks Ubuntu 9.04 released and I strongly think that I may move to Arch on desktop! Not 100% sure now, but I keep testing arch on virtualbox. Definitely, the first impression is positive! If I'll have some further info about this, I will update this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment